You came across an H&M beveling machine while looking for recommendations on what to use for your next pipeline work. The H&M Pipe Company has been manufacturing and distributing welding supplies for over 80 years, so you could say they are among the leading and trusted brands in the market. However, as a buyer, your needs are more important than a brand's long history. Sure, it can be considered an important buying factor, but you purchase a product when you feel it can meet your needs.
So before you close the deal and make a purchase, have a seat first and read a brief run-through of H&M machines for pipe cutting and beveling.
H&M Beveling Machines: A 2022 Review
Ready to find the machine for your next pipeline business? H&M could be the trusted brand you're looking for. H&M's pipe cutting and beveling machines are classified into four types, namely: Saddle-Type Beveling Machine, Band-Type Beveling Machine, 4-Wheel Motorized Beveling Machine, and Chain-Type Beveling Machine. Below is a breakdown of each machine's features and purpose to determine which is right for you.
H&M Saddle-Type Beveling Machines
The saddle-type beveling machines are made of hard-anodized aluminum, making them durable and lightweight when transporting to various job locations. The following features are incorporated into this machine:
- Cuboid Spacer System - Four 6-sided cuboid spacers allow the machine to cut different pipe sizes, saving you time and cost for additional equipment. When not in use, the spacers securely stay on the back of the saddle machine, so you don't lose them.
- Efficient and Economic Saddle Design - The saddle is placed behind the ring gear to minimize the risk of metal distortion while back-beveling. Additionally, the saddle and ring gear are assembled separately, minimizing damage and replacement costs.
- 7CS Solid Torch Holder - This torch holder is an accurate, easy-to-use, and adjustable tool. It uses a single thumbscrew and cotter pin to secure and easily replace the torch.
- 2DH Boomer Strap Eye Assembly - H&M's unique machine construction allows you to manage pipe sections easily. With this assembly, you can make quick adjustments to secure the machine's lock and the desired pipe size.
Advantage Heavy Duty “Saddle-Type” Beveling Machine
Constructed from cast aluminum and weighing 27 lbs, the Advantage Saddle Beveling Machine is the perfect portable tool to set up for heavy-duty work on short pipes. You can make saddle cuts on standard pipes with a length of 3, 4, 6, and 8 inches.
Standard “Saddle-Type” Beveling Machine
This H&M machine is similar to the first one but for standard use rather than heavy-duty application. It cuts and bevels pipes ranging from 2-36 inches precisely and quickly in all work conditions.
Band-Type Beveling Machine
This H&M machine works fast and precisely using a single-person operation. It contains seventeen stainless steel bands that allow you to cut pipes ranging from 10-96 inches diameter, with extra special bands for pipes up to 20 feet inches diameter. In addition, the design is portable and compact, weighing only 18 lbs.
4-Wheel Heavy Duty Motorized Beveling Machine Head
This one is another durable and portable machine, constructed of cast aluminum and weighs only 20 lbs. The four wheels directly ride on the steel bands and prevent seam welding from affecting pipe cutting. You can use the machine in a one-man operation and in either horizontal or vertical positions.
Chain-Type Beveling Machine
The Chain-Type includes a cutting torch, three tips, and control valves (fuel gas, cutting oxygen, and pre-heat). It has a flexible pipe cutting capacity— the standard is 6-24 inches, but if you need to work on larger pipes, extra chain links are available for purchase. A clutch helps the machine verify the chain's position through fast rotation around the pipe. If speed reduction is needed, brass worm gears act on it in a smooth motion. Additionally, you can position the torch holder at any angle.
Downsides of H&M Beveling Machines
To ensure you're well-equipped with knowledge on the machines, here are some things to note:
- H&M has a more complicated setup than a Mathey Dearman 12 beveling machine or Mathey Dearman 2 4 beveling machine. Mathey Dearman machines are easy to use regardless of welding experience.
- Unlike the bolts and spacers you carry when using a Mathey Dearman pipe beveling machine, H&M's cuboid spacers stay on the saddle machine when not in use so that you won't lose them.
- H&M is larger than its competitors, taking up more space in your toolkit.
- Some users choose a Mathey Dearman beveling machine for sale since they're cheaper than H&M.
Overall, choosing an H&M machine is an excellent option to save time and money for weld preparation. It is a user-friendly, easy-to-follow, and highly efficient tool. We hope this article helps you find the suitable machine for your desired cuts and bevels.