Whether you’re a professional welder or a hobbyist, you will surely appreciate what the TIG welding process has to offer you. You may have started with humble beginnings, only clutching a stick welding torch in your hand. But today, you’re ready to take the leap of faith and learn TIG welding.
TIG welding is used in a myriad of industries, such as car manufacturing and aerospace industries. However, you don’t have to be a veteran and experienced welder to take on TIG welding. This welding process has a steep learning curve, but with enough time and practice, you will eventually master it.
If you haven’t purchased the proper equipment yet and are on the market for one, then read on to discover the best AC DC TIG welder for the money!
What Is TIG Welding?
Generally speaking, there are three welding processes that are widely used in different industries today. Namely, they are TIG (GTAW) welding, MIG (GMAW) welding, and stick (MMA) welding. Each of these welding methods has its own strengths and drawbacks. A welding process might be suitable for a specific situation, but not for another.
Deemed as the most versatile among most welding processes, Tungsten Inert Gas (TIG) welding produces the highest quality welds. However, it comes with the cost since it is difficult to master, requiring you to spend hours on end practicing the craft. But if you’re working on large projects that need high precision, TIG welding is for you.
What Should I Consider When Buying a TIG Welder?
Now that you have your mindset on taking up TIG welding, you need a reliable yet affordable welding machine by your side. After reading numerous ACDC TIG welder reviews, your head might be spinning right now. Let us help you consider the following when buying yourself the best TIG welder!
- Budget: Are you fully committed to TIG welding or are you just trying it out first before you do? Will you use your TIG welding machine for your job or your weekend hobby? Depending on your case, there are TIG welders that will perfectly suit your budget needs.
- Materials: Different types of welding processes work with different kinds of materials. Some welding processes work better with certain materials, while others don’t. If you work with a variety of materials, a TIG welding machine may be perfect for you as it can work with a wide variety of steel, alloys, aluminum alloys, and other nonferrous materials.
- Current type: There are AC/DC and DC-only TIG welding machines on the market. An AC/DC machine allows you to be more flexible with the materials you want to work with. You can simply switch between the current types depending on the materials you are going to be working with.
- IP23 rating: IP rating can give you an idea of how much resistance and protection from harmful elements a piece of equipment has. For TIG welding machines, you should go for those with an IP23 rating. IP23-rated machines are tested to withstand damage from dust and water.
Specs at a Glance
- Priced at $825.00 on Amazon
- Rated at 225 amps
- Can be used with both TIG and stick welding processes
- Reduces spatter and heat input with its pulse function
- Suitable for stainless steel and aluminum welding
- Comes with a CK Worldwide 17 Series Superflex TIG Torch
- Capable of welding ¼” aluminum and ⅜” mild steel
- Can be used for either 6013 and 7018 stick welding
- Has protection from overheating, overcurrent, and power spikes
- Switches between TIG and stick welding processes in a second
- Uses dinse connectors for fitting welding cables into the machine
While working with intense heat and metal materials, you can run into workplace accidents which can cause life-disrupting injuries. Aside from gearing yourself up with personal protective equipment (PPE), make sure that your welding equipment also has safety features that can be crucial for your overall safety.
The PrimeWeld TIG225X takes your well-being to the next level with its holistic approach to ensuring your safety. This ACDC TIG welder is designed to offer you the best protection possible with its overheating, overcurrent, and power spike protection features. With the TIG225X, you can simply grab the TIG torch and weld without worrying about your safety.
AC Balance Against Impurities
A poor quality weld can be a result of oxidation and other impurities present in the materials. This can result in a weaker weld that can cause serious structural damage. Fortunately, the PrimeWeld TIG225X comes with a built-in cleaning feature that removes detrimental elements from your weld puddle.
The TIG225X utilizes its AC Balance feature to help you to penetrate your metal material quicker and easier. Aside from deeper penetration, this feature allows you to increase your travel speeds and reduce the width of your weld beads, resulting in a cleaner and neater weld.
Instantly Switch To Stick Mode
If you work on projects that require multiple kinds of welding processes, you may think that you need separate welding machines for each. Stick, MIG, and TIG welding processes are very different, after all. Fortunately, welding machines can be designed to allow them to switch from one welding process to another and back.
With only one flick of a switch, the TIG225X can switch from TIG to stick welding. If you don’t need the precise welding that the TIG welding process offers, you can use the stick welding mode, which can also save you some shielding gas. Using the stick mode, you can easily work with metals up to ½-inch thickness.
The TIG225X comes with a foot pedal for better control. However, the design of the foot pedal can be further improved. Numerous customers report having a less than satisfactory experience with the foot pedal, even comparing it with other foot pedals in the market.
A TIG welding machine is a sophisticated piece of equipment. You might encounter numerous problems and issues throughout the machine’s lifespan. As such, PrimeWeld offers a 3-year no-hassle warranty. Even more generous, PrimeWeld will shoulder the shipping costs for customers in the United States, Canada, and Mexico.
Many customers report having an overwhelmingly positive and hassle-free experience with PrimeWeld’s customer service. You can expect immediate assistance about your problems with their products and services through their official channels. Whether it’s an issue with your warranty coverage or basic troubleshooting problems, you can depend on their customer care.
Specs at a Glance
- Priced at $749.99 on Amazon
- Comes with pulse features for welding thinner metal materials
- Designed with versatility to cater to both professionals and hobbyists
- Can be used in either automatic or semi-automatic welding situations
- Designed as a multi-process welder
- Uses Argon as shielding gas for arc stability and weld penetration
- Rated at 250 amps with a stick welding function
- Perfect for stainless steel and aluminum welding
- Can be used with 6010 welding
- Uses IGBT as an AC/DC inverter
- Comes with a 3-year warranty
Highly Functional Digital Console
Consistency is something that every welder aspires and works hard to achieve. The quality of your output can be affected by many different factors. One small change can drastically affect the results. As such, you need a way to know your measurements so that you can reproduce the same output whenever you wish.
The YesWelder TIG-250P features a digital console that has everything you need to finely tune your settings. The digital console enables you to know exactly how much amperage you are using and even lets you set your preferred configuration as a preset. The collection of buttons and knobs on the machine allows you to produce high-quality output every single time.
Switch From TIG to Stick
If you’re familiar with different welding processes, you might want to consider the TIG-250P for its AC squarewave TIG, AC pulse TIG, DC TIG, DC Pulse TIG, DC flux-coated Electrodes MMA, and Argon arc spot welding (DC, pulse, or AC) functions. With these various functions, you can maximize your welding efficiency and easily get the job done.
Smart Memory Features
Setting up your welding machine to your personal configuration can take up some time. This can be a mild inconvenience when you just want to grab your TIG torch and weld away. Precious time can be taken up by dialing the knob and pushing the buttons to set your parameters properly.
Saving you from such hassle, the TIG-250P has an autosave feature that works great with its all-digital console. When you configure your settings on the machine, the machine will remember them even when it’s already turned off. As soon as you turn the machine on, it will automatically restore your saved parameters and you can start working right away.
Considering the price and its set of features, you can’t really go wrong with the YesWelder TIG-250P. It is more than capable of doing everything you would expect from a TIG welder, and it does them well. For the price you’re paying, you’re going to get a well-rounded product. The only problem you might face is the absence of a foot pedal.
YesWelder offers excellent after-sales service, which they claim can be reached seven days a week. Any inquiries on their products and services, and warranty coverage, can be sent to their email address. Customers report helpful and responsive assistance from the customer service representatives.
Weldpro Digital TIG 200GD
Specs at a Glance
- Priced at $878.00 on Amazon
- The full-featured flagship model from Weldpro
- Comes with features typically found in more high-end brands
- Works well with various metals such as steel and aluminum
- Specifically designed for the TIG welding process
- Saves time using pulse welding, which can be fully adjusted
- Has an AC Balance feature for cleaning action and penetration
- Allows greater control with a foot pedal that comes with the package
- Comes with a CK Worldwide superflex cable and flex head
- Can also be used as a Manual Metal Arc (MMA) or stick welder
- Comes with a full 3-year warranty
Full Control With Digital Display
Bid farewell to the clunky knobs and dials. The Weldpro Digital TIG 200GD is designed with a digital control panel that gives you absolutely full control over the machine. You can easily set parameters with a push of a button. In addition, the display shows the values for your amperage and flow rates.
Any Outlet Anytime
Finding the right outlet has always been a perennial problem. Outlets with an incompatible voltage output can damage your equipment and, in the worst cases, cause huge accidents such as fires. Fortunately, you don’t have to worry about such incidents with the Weldpro Digital TIG GD, as it can take in power from both 115V and 240V outlets.
Amazing Hand Torch
TIG welding machines that are targeted towards the lower price bracket usually come with generic hard torches. For professionals and hobbyists alike, this is definitely a problem that could be a dealbreaker. Fortunately, the Weldpro Digital TIG GD comes with the CK17 Superflex Torch, which is known among experienced welders as a dependable hand torch.
The C17 Superflex Torch has a maximum flex head of 40 degrees, giving you enough leeway to do your work. It also comes with a Superflex hose which is so comfortable to use, allowing you to move about easily around your workspace. In addition, if the torch gets broken, you will have no difficulty finding replacement parts for it.
Seasoned welders can appreciate budget welding machines for what they are. However, some of them complain about the TIG 200G as less than a satisfactory machine. There are reports about the TIG welder not being able to weld ¼-inch aluminum and other similar metals. Another complaint is that the duty cycle for this machine could be too low for some welders.
If you ever encounter any problems with your Weldpro Digital TIG 200GD within 30 days of purchase, you can have it returned at no cost. Weldpro will cover the shipping expenses as long as you meet their conditions. The warranty policy extends up to two years from the date of purchase. For more information, you should check out the documentation on their website.
Specs at a Glance
- Priced at $649.00 on Amazon
- Designed with a dual voltage input for wide compatibility
- Has a 200A AC squarewave inverter for welding precision
- Output rated at 200 amps for high-quality TIG welding
- Can be relied on for welding thinner-gauge materials
- Boasts a reliable power efficiency of 80%
- Covered by a 3-year limited warranty
- US-based support team
- Has a built-in stick welder mode
- Comes with a foot pedal for welding control and precision
Dual Voltage Flexibility
If you’re a hobbyist, you would definitely appreciate the flexibility that the Lotos TIG200ACDC offers. This multi-process welder is specifically designed to work with both 110 and 220-volt power outlets. As such, you won’t ever need to scramble around the garage to find a power source that works with the Lotos TIG.
Advanced Cooling Technology
TIG welding machines produce intense heat that could also wear down the machine in the long run. Continuous usage under extreme temperatures can lead to a quickly shortening lifespan. If you want to get a greater value and more longevity out of your machine, then look no further than the Lotos TIG with its PAPST advanced cooling system.
Foot Pedal For Greater Control
When you have a torch in hand, the intense heat might get your hands sweaty, resulting in an uncomfortable and looser grip. Your finger might slip, making you miss your rhythm as you pull the trigger on the torch. Thanks to the foot pedal that comes with the Lotos TIG, you can adjust your amperage to your liking with a slight and gentle step on the pedal.
New welders will definitely appreciate the additional control that the foot pedal allows. However, you might want to opt for a third-party foot pedal for the reasons below.
While the Lotos TIG does come with a foot pedal, it might not be the best of its class. Even seasoned professionals and veteran welders can have a difficult time getting accustomed to the foot pedal. Another drawback that can be a dealbreaker for most is the lack of a pulse welding function. This feature may be important for you if you want the efficiency and precision that it offers.
The machine also leans towards the heavier side of the spectrum. If you need a machine that can easily be transported, then the Lotos TIG might pose a problem. They could use some improvements in the portability department.
Lotos Technology provides a 30-day money-back guarantee. You can take advantage of this warranty policy by testing the machine for defects and problems. In addition, it is also covered with a 3-year limited warranty. To sweeten the deal, you can have the machine replaced within one year of purchase, as long as it passes the warranty conditions.
A TIG welder can be a major investment. That’s why you need to take a closer look at every little detail of the machine’s specifications, including its price tag. You can get good value from a machine that fits your budget and comes with features that you can take advantage of. For example, pulse welding is a widely sought-after feature among TIG welders these days.
There is a wide variety of TIG welders on the market. Some can be better than others, but the most critical thing to consider is your own needs and preferences. If you need a TIG welding machine that can give you flexibility, you should consider an ACDC TIG welder. These machines can work with most power outlets regardless of their voltage ratings.
What are you waiting for? Consider the options above and find the best TIG welder for you!